Thursday, October 23, 2014

RMySQL - dbConnect

Now that R was recognizing the dbConnect function, there was a new error.
Error in mysqlNewConnection(drv, ...) : 
  RS-DBI driver: (Failed to connect to database: Error: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
I concluded this error was returned from MySQL and started looking for a solution in MySQL.  Using MySQL Workbench I had created a database and connected to it from within Workbench.  However I was unable to connect to MySQL from the command line.  I couldn't even start MySQL from the command line.  When you install MySQL you need to create grant tables.  This is easily accomplished in Workbench using the new instance wizard.  I had to select 'Debian' a few steps into the wizard so it would know the correct file paths.  Once the instance was established I was able to create users and assign them access to my database.  I was then able to connect to MySQL from R using my newly created user.

No comments:

Post a Comment